Sunday, November 30, 2008

Listen, I've said before how I do not want to be known as a GOOD housewife but...

I made split pea soup for the first time in my life and it came out de- wait for it -licious!

cell 11.30.08 009

Okay, it does look like baby poop fresh from the source but it was mighty tasty! In all the years of me hosting Thanksgiving and making a ham along with the turkey, I had never thought to do anything with the ham bone except whack Andy over the head with it but when I saw the recipe and noticed I had all but one ingredient (the split peas which are essential for split pea soup, so I hear), well that was just too easy to pass up. Plus I didn't know what I was going to make for dinner.

Winter has officially hit the best city in the world so this is just what we needed on a cold and slushy evening.

Unfortunately!! Little did I know it would make about 5 gallons of soup! Me? I can eat about 2 or 3 bowlfuls in the next week or so and Andy will eat what I give him (or else!) but there is no way we can eat all that soup.

No. Way.

I mean, I get enough searches to my blog looking for answers to their green poop dilemmas and here I'll have some of my own.

The next thought I had was to freeze it and give it away to those I want to punish love "Merry Christmas Family! Pea Soup Just For You!" with tiny hearts on the card to show how much I care but Andy said the plan might backfire (pun?). He said we might walk out of Christmas wearing pea soup and that would be worse than eating it everyday.

I do have some casserole dishes to return to my mother-in law and to my sister so they will definitely get a visit from the Pea Soup Fairy!

Anyway, this marks the last day of NaBloPoMONoDoFoSho (posting every day in November)! I only missed 2 days woohoo!

Talk to you guys later and let me know if you'd like me to send you a special green package.

Humor-Blogs

P.S.

You're lucky I am writing this and not relating this to you in person because, for some reason, I keep calling it SPIT PEA SOUP and really, who wants to hear that?? Or be spit on by me? Except for Andy but that's another story.

P.P.S.

I did not go by the traditional recipe for Split Pea Soup because I have taste buds and like my food to have more spices than the bland ones I found online. If you have one you swear by, let me know.

27 comments:

  1. Congrats on pea soup success. As for the leftovers, have you considered neighbors? Nothing says seasons greetings like a hot bowl of soup left over from Thanksgiving. You can even remind people that it's much better than fruitcake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not getting spit pea soup in my package, am I. I have never been a fan of the peam split or otherwise.
    And I think I can say, with experience, that it does look like baby poop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. About the only thing worse than a fruit cake during the holidays would probably be... A tureen of split pea soup (With spit or otherwise).

    Love your blog... Hate pea soup. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bee,
    I was just about to throw that ham bone away. Soup's a great idea! Are you tired of me copying you yet?
    Eve

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure it tasted good, but I am not a pea soup fan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read all your posts but am only commenting here because I'm lazy like that.

    shocked?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love soup but have never tried pea soup...it doesnt sound that appetizing to be honest LOL but I am sure it tastes good

    YAY Bee for makin soup

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I was a little kid my dad tried to make me eat split pea soup, but I wouldn't do it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. are you still serving enchiladas? im hungry ..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Put some in a bowl, add a little Ex-Lax, and give it to your boss.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ummm...I don't really like split pea soup, but my hubs looovvves it. It really always HAS reminded me of baby poop! So of course I never make it...hehehe

    Hope you had a great Turkey Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. there's a pea soup fairy?? wow! now I have hope there may actually be a cake fairy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. send me some, i love pea soup. and if it doesn't look like baby poop you aren't doing it right.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE split pea soup. I have a fabulous recipe that doesn't include ham, if you want to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh...and here I thought you pee'd in the soup... You meant PEA soup.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loves me da split pea soup. Once, while in the hospital on NO FOOD for a month, on my first day to eat I requested pea soup. As the spoon entered my mouth, my poor starving muscles went into a spasm of unbelievable strength and clamped down on the spoon so hard it couldn't be removed for several minutes. I'll always hold that first bowl of pea soup close to my heart....uh.....you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  17. p.s. Adding a bit of sugar and butter makes it better.

    ReplyDelete
  18. you passed up "good housewife" and went right to Suzy Homemaker! I bet you were wearing an apron? yeah? yeah?

    ReplyDelete
  19. A suspicious green package, eh? I'm sure there's no suspicious element to that.

    How much soup did you expect? Try giving it to neighbours you want to weird out.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I used to like the Habitant brand split pea soup with ham that we get here in Canada. Never made it though.

    Have you ever seen the George and Martha story (by James Marshall, they are for childen but also for adults) - about two hippos who are best friends - in which Martha makes split pea soup and George hates it so much he pours it into his new loafers so as not to offend her?

    G & M was also made into an animated TV series with the voices of Nathan Lane and Andrea Martin. It is really good, and is on YouTube I think. And I have to tell you I really don't like most children's TV. At all. But this is really good.

    Sorry I can't get a link, YouTube is acting up.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think soup courses through my veins, but I've never once tried split pea soup. I'm not even sure I could try it. Does it taste super pea-y?

    You can freeze that stuff and be set all winter!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good job with the pea soup. We have a deep freeze and that helps a lot with mass quantities.

    ReplyDelete
  23. No split pea soup for me, thank you. But I am superbly proud of your superior split pea soup making skills.

    Say that 10 times fast.

    ReplyDelete
  24. homemade soup should get you wife of the year, usually when i have a Martha moment it involves glitter... you could add green and red sugar sprinkles for a festive flair before you give it as Christmas gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  25. There's no such thing as delicious split pea soup. No where. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations on your soup making abilities! Split pea soup is absolutely the best, especially homemade. I agree, just freeze it or maybe open up a soup kitchen for the homeless.

    ReplyDelete

Ask me no questions and I’ll tell you no lies.